This arose at Thanksgiving. I explore it and want to share it. (Exploration in meditation is an easier way of healing oneself than some realize.)
Try this exploration to heal wounds around
It may also help heal
- fear, and
- inaction that is due to overwhelm or terror.
Thank you for letting me know what it does for you.
- Center in gratitude for what you have that you deserve. Allow yourself to feel genuine thankfulness for what you have earned and deserve. Enjoy the rich detail. Revel in it. You have earned this, you deserve it.
- Now shift to being grateful for what you’ve been given.There’s no question in your mind you didn’t earn it and yet, wow, here it is. Feel thankful for this wealth in its rich detail. Revel in it.
- Now, simply shift into awareness of all you have that you do not deserve. Can you also be thankful for this? Even allowing ourselves to notice what we have that we do not deserve can be hard enough at first. From an open heart of gratitude, to allow thoughts of what we did not deserve and still don’t deserve opens up a huge can of squiggling worms. And can give rise to questions, like:
- Do I mean privilege we enjoy but clearly haven’t earned and could not be said to deserve in any way? Yes.
- Do I mean wonderful things we don’t feel we deserve because we aren’t worthy of them? Sure.
- Do I mean awful things that we didn’t earn or deserve but have in our lives anyway? Yes.
Thank you for being willing to go there.
Image: Veit Zahlaus (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.